Ecuador Border Crossing / Ecuador Laws / Ecuador Tourist Visa

Ecuador Tourist Visas: Don’t Be Late Exiting Ecuador or It Will Cost You!

Around October, the government of Ecuador changed the exit rules.  If you overstay your visa, you now must pay $200 to exit the country and then wait six months before you can return to Ecuador.  They enter information into their immigration computers so they know when you come and go.

Remember,  the T-3 visa you get when you enter the country is for 90 days.  This does not mean three months.  Make sure you count the calendar days and leave before the 90 days is up.  If you over stay by one day, it will cost you $200.

Ecuador is having to watch their budget right now due to the fall in oil prices, so they will be scratching for every nickle and dime or $200 they can find.  Don’t give them an excuse to “invite” you to enrich their coffers.



  1. I entered Ecuador on a tourist visa (90 days) I will be overstaying that by 60 days. My 90 days expired on October 2010. I understand that I have to Pay a $200 fine. Where in Quito (official office) do I go to pay and at what bank do I pay the $200? I need addresses for both locations please and a phone number for the official office where they will issue me a departure stamp to take with me to the border. I will have with me a bus ticket to prove I am leaving. I am traveling to Colombia in January 2011.

  2. This happened to me last December. Came in June 2009 when my research showed you could leave and get another 90 days. Stayed 88 days, reentered in December on the way to catch a flight. No information on the change in rules was posted at the border, nor did anyone mention I only had two days as of the new rule. Not only did I pay the $200 fine for staying for 90 days and 5 hours in 2009, but you have to pay the fine at a bank across town from the airport. Since my flight was at 8 am, I missed it and had to pay for another because there was no way to pay the fee in time for the flight. I have to say I try hard to respect immigrations rules, and the whole experience really steamed me. Not planning to travel to Ecuador again any time soon.

  3. Immigration is at it again. They are once again asking for return airline tickets if you apply for 12-IX or 12-X visas. If you are in the process of applying for residency, you can show proof of that and they will cut you some slack. This is current info as of today.

  4. I have been traveling to Ecuador since April 2007 without anything but a T-3 Visa. I have had friends go to Peru with varying results on getting visa extensions, etc. I have been able to spend almost 180 days per year spread over two trips with no problems. Fact Is-it is up to the immigration officer at the airport how many days you get. He can give 10 days or whatever he wants. If you fill out your paperwork properly, which means put T-3 at the bottom and your days next to it, add a couple extra if you can, you will most likely get the automatic 90. I spent 82 so far this year and will be applying for a 12-9 on my return in November and staying under 90 so I should be okay. The ecuadorian goverment does seem to be stuck on the 180 day rule. My big question is-Does the entry date begin on the first time you entered the country or is it a calender year?

  5. Richard Stone says:

    I will be facing this problem very soon as I get ready to leave Ecuador and I’m 8 months over do on my tourist Visa. To pay $200 would be fine and not to return for 6 months a problem since my wife and son live here.
    What about the friend of Jennifer that has been detained?
    Thank you.

  6. Is it $200 per person? Per day? Both? Or total? I have a friend with 3 children who are right now being detained. Any info would be much appreciated.
    Thank you!

  7. Ecuador has become a little easier on tourists who overstay their visa. It’s possible to get another visa if you pay the $200 and then apply for a new one.

  8. hi thanks for the information…

    i´ve overstayed my visit! i had bought plane tickets one day too late..

    i was wondering about what you had written about not being able to return for 6 months afterwards? is this the case with everyone ? for example, i was planning to study abroad here in january but provided that i overstayed my time here will i not be able to? at all?

  9. Hey, cool tips. I’ll buy a glass of beer to that man from that chat who told me to go to your site :)

  10. According to all information available right now, the government will fine you the $200 and deport you. You will then be unable to reenter the country for at least 6 months.

    Overstaying the visa, as Gary said, is not a good idea. If you do, you had better be prepared to pay the $200 fine they will charge you. Ecuador seems intent to enforce certain rules they have in place, and as Gary pointed out, Ecuador is in a financial crunch now. They will be looking for any revenue stream possible. And $200 is $200.