Ecuador Residency Visa

Resident Visa by Marriage to an Ecuadorian

Pro-Ecuador reader question:

“Hello, my question is this. I am probably going to marry an woman with Ecuadorian citizenship this May. When the marriage is legally performed, do I, as an American citzen automatically qualify for permanent residency in Ecuador. I would greatly appreciate any and all info that you may be able to provide.”

Jason’s Response:

Congratulations! Being married to an Ecuadorian citizen makes the resident visa process much easier, but it is not automatic. The Embassy of Ecuador in Washington D.C. states:

“The Economical dependence Visa, class 10-VI may be requested by an Ecuadorian citizen for his/her foreign spouse, children, parent, grandparent, or sibling; in addition it is granted to the family members of foreigners who obtain the Visas from the following categories: 10-I; 10-II; 10-III; 10-IV and 10-V

The requirements are the following:

  1. Visa application form
  2. Passport valid for at least 6 months
  3. Ecuadorian identification of the person requesting the visa
  4. Marriage license, if the marriage took place abroad the license must be translated into Spanish, notarized and legalized at the Consulate. (Costs US $10.00 for each document)
  5. If the visa is requested for children, birth certificate translated into Spanish, notarized and legalized at the consulate. (Costs US $10.00 for each document)
  6. A document that accredits the Ecuadorian nationality of the spouse, father or mother. It is not needed for those who are aided by another type of Immigrant visa
  7. Economical Guaranty made before a Notary Public indicating that the foreigner will have sufficient funds for him or herself and their families for the permanence in Ecuador.
  8. A Police Criminal Record Check document, from the State Police Department. The applicant who is under the age of 18 must present a Certificate of Good Conduct issued by an educational institution.
  9. A notarized medical certificate, stating that the applicant is free of contagious diseases including HIV.
  10. A copy of the petitioners and beneficiary’s passports if they are foreigners
  11. 2 current passport size photos, in color with white backdrop.
  12. A fee of $200 dollars.”

We have found that is is better to apply for the resident visa while inside of Ecuador. The paperwork is simple and we advise that you and your wife find an immigration lawyer in Quito to take care of everything.

I recommend that you pay the attorney to process all paperwork and expedite the visa. The fee will range from $500 to $1,000 but will be worth every penny! Don’t try to save money by processing the paperwork yourself, unless of course you enjoy spending hours in long lines!

Let us know if you have any other questions.



  1. Rod Karolys says:

    I have Ecuadorian citizenship, and I am trying to get a spousal visa for my wife, who has Chinese citizenship. She is in China now. Does anyone know what documents I would need to show to petition for her to come here? I was living in China and overstayed my visa by over a year, and they deported me when they caught me. Now I can’t go back there and I need to bring my wife and daughter here. I also lived illegally in the US for a long time, and I don’t know if this little fact will hurt me in the process of petitioning for my wife. I don’t even know where to begin this process. I don’t have much money and I can’t afford to hire a lawyer. If anyone has experience with bringing foreign spouses to Ecuador, please reply to this posting.

  2. Is there a possiblity to work in Ecuador earning a salary. Will I be restricted, or not able to maintain a job?